Photo

I have to install Word on my computer.

I have the CD.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 blupencl

blupencl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:59 AM

Hi, friends.

I have an old computer - like 5 years old. It became really, really STUFFED at some point - I don't know how it happened, but it did. I don't even remember - I had not used it very much. I had to take it to a computer expert and he had to delete everything. One of the things he deleted was Word.

I have the "fake Word" that was free, but I also purchased a real Word CD. I need the real Word on my computer for my new account.

Now I find that my CD-ROM drive is one of the dead soldiers. So I bought an external drive. Tried to install Word. It says Word is copyrighted.

My task today is to go to Best Buy and get a new internal CD-ROM and install it. I think I can do this, but my question is: Do I really need it? Or can I use the external LiteOn DVD/CD player? I think it is a rewriter.

I have known some of you for a long time. Those people will know that my brain is set in concrete. I have to have specific instructions or I can't do it. Can anybody help me?

#2 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:47 AM

It should make no difference whether your CD is internal or external when it comes to installing programs from it.

Where did you buy your copy of "real Word"?
It's possible you got rooked with a pirated CD..

#3 blupencl

blupencl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

Oh, DRAT I got it on ebay. It has a product code! [she whined]. The external drive I bought is an "External SLIM DVD/CD Writer". You can see that I do not really know what I am doing. :(

Big problem with giving my computer back to the shop when I really need to work on it, and I actually thought I was capable of installing this program.

Thank you for your reply.

#4 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

A code is not necessarily a valid code. If it doesn't come with all the M$ whoop-de-doo, it may well be just the code for a copy long since installed on some other computer.. Complain to the seller (ha, ha) and file a report with eBay.

I'm sure you are capable of installing the program, but first you need a valid copy of it. (And remember that if the deal appears to be too good to be true, it probably is.)

#5 blupencl

blupencl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

well thank you. I hope it is a valid copy. Not much to pin my hopes on. Thanks!

#6 blupencl

blupencl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I just chucked the whole thing and bought new. I call it the cost of doing business, and I'm moving on. Darn it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.