Photo

Shortcut for Windows - open a new folder by shortcut?

Shortcut open folder

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 danaj3

danaj3

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:36 AM

Is it possible to create a shortcut in Shortcut to open a folder/file/document? Perhaps even a web site would be nice? Thanks so much.

#2 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Shortcut isn't an expander I'm familiar with, but judging by this screenshot, it does allow for putting keys other than just alphanumeric ones into your expansions.
http://www.sylvansof.../shortcut_2.gif

What that means is that you should be able to set up a short for anything you can do off the keyboard. You simply need to enter the keys into the expansion in the exact order you would press them off the keyboard to do whatever you are trying to do. If you don't know the keyboard commands to do what you want to do, then that's the first thing you need to figure out--it won't handle mouse clicks.

However, Shortcut doesn't seem to have any handy preset scripts for things like opening a specific program or switching to a specific program window. If you want to set up more sophisticated shortcuts involving switching focus to your browser and back, things like that, I would suggest you look into programs specifically for command and control scripting such as ActiveWords or AutoHotkey.

#3 danaj3

danaj3

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:41 AM

I actually do not use this program myself. I was asked to learn it to give training seminars on it for work. I called them; they said no. It seems like one could if they thought about it long enough because you can safe a file to doc. I think that if you were on a Word-based program, you could do this. I experimented with it in Notepad and I can open file from there. On my account, I am not sure that is possible. Thanks.

Edited by danaj3, 05 October 2011 - 08:40 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.