Photo

New monitor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 melvin

melvin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

I would like to get a new monitor and have no clue what to look for.

I currently have a flat screen Dell that came free from Telus years ago. It is square, not widescreen, and is 19". I would really like an LED.

The screen is always pulled to the edge of my desk so I can see. I have poor eyesight, mainly with distance, to the point where I can't drive but that's the only restriction. I find changing resolution on the screen makes things blurry and it drives me crazy.

I use InScribe/Emdat for work and the text size for some of our clients is so tiny I am leaning foward in my chair.

What I wonder is....

1. Does a bigger monitor mean the text will be larger or simply strung out over a larger area? (I know nothing about this sort of thing as you can see!)

2. What size does everyone prefer? I was thinking larger to enable more active windows for better productivty, but then I would be stuck with smaller text on InScribe and websites wouldn't I?

Any advice would much appreciated!

Melissa

#2 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

The ideal setup, particularly if you have vision problems, would be at least two flat screen monitors attached to your computer, at least one of which is 18-inch or larger and can be pivoted to portrait orientation so you can display an entire 8-1/2 x 11-inch page in a large size. With dual monitors you can display two windows simultaneously without having to reduce window size.

BTW, you might also want to check out this post in our tech notes forum, "How to increase size of all objects on screen, Titles, menus, all icons, dialog boxes":
http://www.productiv...?showtopic=3683

There have also been previous discussions here of both pivoting monitors and dual-monitor setups. See what you can turn up with Search if you are interested.

#3 melvin

melvin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

I want a pivot!!! And multiple monitors!!! (And a second job so I can get them Now!)

I'm so excited at the thought I can't even remember all the questions I had when reading through posts.

Okay, so with 2 monitors and 1 computer any changes I make size wise (text etc) will change both monitors correct? No way to have different setting for each? I need InScribe/Emdat to have larger text but I hate what happens to everything else when I do this in the computer display settings. Internet etc are fine the way they are now.

That raises another question - can anyone using InScribe tell me if there is a way to increase text size in this program without messing up the clients preferences?

Must go google pivot monitor brands.

Melissa

Edited by melvin, 16 August 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#4 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

Okay, so with 2 monitors and 1 computer any changes I make size wise (text etc) will change both monitors correct? No way to have different setting for each?

You can have different resolutions set for the two monitors, but anything you do to change size within Windows will apply to all monitors connected to the computer. Your browser, of course, does have an independent setting for text size that you can use to enlarge or reduce text within its window.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.