Photo

Need an expander program for ChartScript.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 c.stone

c.stone

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

I've currently got the trial version of InstantText and I can't say that I'm really very impressed with it. Seems to have a few bugs, like the spacing; after a period should be 2 spaces and next character is in the 3rd space. Nope. IT takes out the extra spaces and leaves only 1 space. I've turned off the autospace feature, turned it back on, and still have to watch for the spacing because I can get docked on that for "padding" or for no space between words.

Also seems like I can only work in one glossary at a time. The merge feature brings several together, but I still have to switch into a different one to get those entries?

Also wondering why it seems to have duplicate entries; one in pink highlight and one without. That's kind of a hassle.

There's lots of entries in there that I wouldn't use and lots of fine-tuning I'd have to do with it. I really hate to spend that kind of money for something I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time adjusting to suit me, if I can find something else that works just as well a bit cheaper.

I'm working on tuning things this weekend, see how it works out.

The expander program in ChartScript is good, but I have to enter all my AutoCorrect entries by hand in there, and I'm not thrilled with that either.

Anything that works with ChartScript.net that will also import all my MS Word AutoCorrect entries? Thanks for any ideas anyone has.

#2 Georgia in MS

Georgia in MS

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

I am assuming you are new to Instant Text. I read nothing that tells me you have used it before.

The thing about Instant Text is that regardless of what your administrators do to Chartscript, they are not going to be able to change anything about your shortcuts/abbreviations done in your Instant Text. Over the years, my administrators at the hospitals have decided to wipe out everyone's shortcuts because "someone's" was causing problems, they have inadvertently lost them, they have changed versions of type of dictation/transcription program they use, etc.

Every time they do something of this nature, people that rely strictly on the dictation/transcription program have to go back and manually recreate all their shortcuts/abbreviations. That takes a week or so - and that's once your blood has stopped boiling and you can think rationally - to get your entries where you can fly with work again. Once you get all of your shortcuts/abbreviations in Instant Text, they are yours and their IT department can't change anything about it. It's on your computer - not theirs.

My hospitals have changed their dictation/transcription program at least six times while I've been working for them. After the first changeover, I learned never to use the autocorrects or inserts that their programs have because I don't want to rebuild all that stuff every time they make a change or something goes "blip" with their system.

I've been transcribing for 15 years and have used IT at least 11 years. I look at Instant Text as an investment. Hands down - no question about it - Instant Text is the best thing I have in medical transcription. If I get a new computer, IT is one of the top 3 things that gets installed. I really cannot put a price on how valuable IT is for me. As a disclaimer, I don't have any connection whatsoever to the development or sales of IT. I'm just a self-employed transcriptionist who uses it every day.

I do not use the autospace feature and do not find that I have any problems with spacing.

Every entry I have is in one glossary. That's they way I've always used IT and never felt a need to create different glossaries.

#3 c.stone

c.stone

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

That really didn't give me any useful information, but thanks anyway.

#4 Autumn MT

Autumn MT

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

1. Check with IT support to see what suggestions they have for use with ChartScript and spacing and other issues.

2. You can, indeed, work with a number of glossaries at once. Check out the Include feature (in the Help facility), which simply involves setting up a main glossary, and then adding included glossaries -- in the order you specify -- into that glossary. The glossary entries are still separate, but when loading IT, the Includes are loaded, as well, and are completely available for use.

3. You don't need to use the glossary files downloaded with the actual IT program. I have my own glossary files (one main, other includes, such as drugs, ages, etc.) that I have built over the years.

4. The Help facility is really a gold mine of good information. IT has many flexible and configurable features that allow you to set it up to work just the way YOU want it to work, to fit how YOU think, etc., but it takes a while to play with, understand them, and get the fit just right. If you take the time to familiarize yourself with the various features, it's well worth your time. I wouldn't even consider a job that wouldn't allow me to use IT.

#5 Kristen_Textware Solutions

Kristen_Textware Solutions

• Star PT Contributor
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

I've currently got the trial version of InstantText and I can't say that I'm really very impressed with it. Seems to have a few bugs, like the spacing; after a period should be 2 spaces and next character is in the 3rd space. Nope. IT takes out the extra spaces and leaves only 1 space. I've turned off the autospace feature, turned it back on, and still have to watch for the spacing because I can get docked on that for "padding" or for no space between words.

IT will put 2 spaces after a period unless you have changed your automatic spacing settings found under Options/Automatic spacing. When using Instant Text with Chartnet, make sure you have Chartnet's built-in expander disabled as you do not want to have two guys fighting over your keystrokes. In other words, you cannot have two programs trying to control your spacing as it will lead to conflict.

Also seems like I can only work in one glossary at a time. The merge feature brings several together, but I still have to switch into a different one to get those entries?

The Merge will take two or more glossaries and combine them into one new glossary. To use more than one glossary at a time, without having to switch, the recommended method is to use Glossary Includes. Please click Glossary Includes for more information.

Also wondering why it seems to have duplicate entries; one in pink highlight and one without. That's kind of a hassle.

Instant Text does not show duplicate entries in the advisories. You can view duplicate entries simply for editing purposes in the Glossary Viewer. Entries shown in the pink highlight represent entries that are coming from an included glossary.

The expander program in ChartScript is good, but I have to enter all my AutoCorrect entries by hand in there, and I'm not thrilled with that either.

Why don't you import your ChartScript file into Instant Text using the Importer? Right-click on Phrases and go Importer, click on the ChartScript button and follow the prompts.

If you have some available time, I strongly recommend reading the first 3 chapters of the Online Manual. If you do not have the time, I would suggest reading the IT7 Basic Guide as that covers the very basics of IT and may answer a lot of questions you may have. Also, there is the IT7 FAQ page as well.

Kind regards,
Kristen

#6 emmanuel

emmanuel

Contributing Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

Warren Buffet says:

Its far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.

I think the same is true for expanders.

#7 GAgal

GAgal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

I believe Shorthand will work with ChartScript.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.