Photo

Fields in WordPerfect?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 1844sanctuary

1844sanctuary

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I don't see any other section designated for WordPerfect. I currently use WP macros for the skeleton of the letters I type because I don't think Instant Text can change the margins and do some of the formatting I need done on the letters. I have Instant Text insert pretyped reports for clinic notes. I have things like the PE section pretyped because they are always the same, and then I delete out the parts that aren't dictated.

But this means I take my hands off the keyboard a lot to use the mouse. I know in Word as well as in Emdat Inscribe, another platform I use, there is a feature called Fields where you can press F1 or something to jump to the next marked place in the report. I want a way to do this in WordPerfect so I can jump from one field to the next within the report to fill in things like vitals and such without having to use the mouse to click where I want to type next. Using the arrow keys, even making them jump a word or a line at a time doesn't work, because some of the places I want to jump to are too far apart.

#2 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

Not a WP user, but if there aren't built-in commands to navigate fields like the F11, etc. in Word (check the WP help file for keyboard shortcuts), you can fall back on the old-time method of inserting a couple of oddball characters such as @@ or $$ where your fields would be and then use your expander to automate the keystrokes for a search and replace to jump to them, delete them, and leave your cursor sitting where they were.

#3 1844sanctuary

1844sanctuary

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

Not a WP user, but if there aren't built-in commands to navigate fields like the F11, etc. in Word (check the WP help file for keyboard shortcuts), you can fall back on the old-time method of inserting a couple of oddball characters such as @@ or $$ where your fields would be and then use your expander to automate the keystrokes for a search and replace to jump to them, delete them, and leave your cursor sitting where they were.

Oh, that is a smart solution. I actually hadn't heard of that before. I try to find things in the help menu, but I can't usually find what I'm looking for.

#4 1844sanctuary

1844sanctuary

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

This actually isn't working for me, because once the Find and Replace dialog box opens, all the commands given after that don't seem to communicate with the dialog box.

#5 Autumn MT

Autumn MT

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

I use WordPerfect templates for my forms, and I have assigned WordPerfect keystrokes for the macros to pull up the various forms (templates) containing a special character for the "fields" and to run the search/find for that special character. In my case, I chose Ctrl-J for a forward search and Shift-Ctrl-J for a backward search for instances where things are not completed in order.

The forward find is as follows:
Application (WordPerfect; "WordPerfect"; Default!; "EN")
SearchString (StrgToLookFor: "@@")
SearchNext (SearchMode: Extended!)

And my backward find:
Application (WordPerfect; "WordPerfect"; Default!; "EN")
SearchString (StrgToLookFor: "@@")
SearchPrevious (SearchMode: Extended!)

Actually, I use an asterisk, as it is not used for anything else and works fine for me, but most people use what Tonks suggested.

For me, it's easier and faster to assign WordPerfect keystrokes than to use an expander short.

Edited by Autumn MT, 03 November 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#6 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

For me, it's easier and faster to assign WordPerfect keystrokes than to use an expander short.

Thank you, Autumn MT. I knew there must be at least a couple of other WP users lurking out there; we just needed for one of you to chime in here. Appreciate you stepping up to the bat. :)

#7 Autumn MT

Autumn MT

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ah gee, Tonks. Thanks.

As a WordPerfect user, I recognize that I now live in an MS Word world, but I still work in my preferred and more controllable WordPerfect and then paste into Word, using an AutoHotkey macro for that operation. Easy as pie, and it keeps me happy.

#8 1844sanctuary

1844sanctuary

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Thank you so much, Autumn! It works great! I've been doing that all day today, and it seems to be the solution I've been looking for. I knew I could assign keystrokes, but I didn't know I could assign them to macros. Now I've assigned all my macros for my letters to keystrokes too, and that's saving me more time.

#9 Autumn MT

Autumn MT

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Thank you so much, Autumn! It works great! I've been doing that all day today, and it seems to be the solution I've been looking for. I knew I could assign keystrokes, but I didn't know I could assign them to macros. Now I've assigned all my macros for my letters to keystrokes too, and that's saving me more time.

Now that you've done that, consider that you can tell the template to automatically move to the first "field" as follows:
  • Copy/Remove Object: In the template edit screen, use this button (on the template button bar) to copy the appropriate macros (from your main template, Object Type macros on disk, into into the template, click Close, then, still in the template edit screen, ...
  • Associate: Press the Associate button to associate the Forward Find macro you just copied with your template. Click on the Triggers radio button to show the various triggers available, choose Post New, and then select your macro. Click Okay.
  • Save your template. (the close folder button)
And now just do a happy dance. :kelly

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.