Photo

Success - Convert IN-DB9 (serial) Footpedal to USB

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozgal

ozgal

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Technology/software<br />Tweaking (yay to Productivitytalk!)<br />Medical and health news<br />Reading<br />Movies<br />Cooking

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Finally, I have found a way to successfully convert my IN-DB9 footpedal (which uses serial port connection) with an adaptor, so that I can use it as a USB footpedal, which so many transcription players seem to require. Also, many new computers (and laptops) come without a serial port these days.

Although I use my Olympus DS-4000 software with an Olympus footpedal most of the time, I do like to try out other players to check out extra features. Unfortunately, other players do not recognise the Olympus footpedal, i.e. Express scribe and Gearplayer, so I purchased an IN-DB9 pedal a long while back, as well as a serial-to-usb adaptor (not sure, as it's unbranded, but may be made by same manufacturer as the ECS adaptor ECS-U232P9, see link below). I have never been able to get my adaptor to work so just used the IN-DB9 or the Olympus depending on players.

I recently upgraded my PC to a 2 Core Quad system, but did not realise until it arrived that it did not have a serial port. So, have been stuck with just the Olympus footpedal.

I've just installed demo version of Gearplayer 4 (www.transcriptiongear.com) as it has some nifty new features, but alas, it does not recognise the Olympus footpedal.

Did some further research and found out I needed drivers for my serial-to-usb adaptor, and came across a product that looked identical to mine, i.e. ECS-U232P9 at http://www.tvps.com/...ECS-U232P9.aspx.

Even better, the drivers for the adaptor are available, by clicking on a link beneath the product.

I've installed the drivers (the download includes drivers for XP and VISTA) and am now able to use the IN-DB9 serial footpedal attached to my unbranded serial-to-usb adaptor, which is plugged into a usb port on my new PC. (Hopefully, the drivers may also work for other unbranded adaptors).

Gearplayer 4 now recognises the IN-DB9 footpedal. I did have to change the com port of the footpedal though - as Gearplayer only allows Com ports 1-6 to be used, and when I installed the adaptor drivers for the IN-DB9 it automatically chose COM 13. I just went into device manager and changed into a lower number that was not being used by another devices.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I was so excited to be able to get my old pedal working, and wanted to share this information so it may help others with similar issues.

Cheers.

#2 Georgia in MS

Georgia in MS

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:46 AM

The hospital I work for only gives out serial port pedals. If you want a USB pedal, you have to buy it. Some people were able to use adapters and some not. Like it was tricky getting an adapter to work.

A couple of years ago, I tried the adapter and it did not work. I bought a USB pedal. I will make a permanent note of your post in case this crops up again for anyone in our group. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post. Where there's a will, there's a way, huh?

#3 creatshuns

creatshuns

• Star PT Contributor
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thanks so much for this information.

#4 ozgal

ozgal

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Technology/software<br />Tweaking (yay to Productivitytalk!)<br />Medical and health news<br />Reading<br />Movies<br />Cooking

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

Hi there Georgia and Creatshuns,

Glad to help. Yep, the old "where there's a will...." has gotten me through many a tough time.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.