Photo

Updating my Office 2000 - Good God, it's killing me

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

I cannot get this done. I am about to give up and install Office Basic Edition 2003, but I'd really rather not. Last ditch attempt, maybe someone has some advice?

Between Ed and Cheryl, I became aware that the 2007 Office Compatibility Pack requires Windows 2000 SP-4 and Word 2000 SP-3 to work totally properly. Windows was up to date, but not Word. So I found that I had to install the Office 2000 SR-1 update before I would even be able to get SP-3. Well, I cannot get this download. Every time I try, I get an error that "Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 update could not download the Office 2000 SR-1 core update."

(And you know what, I vaguely remember getting this same error eons ago when trying to update, and just letting it go).

I have tried downloading the latest Windows installer version. That didn't help.
I have tried Word detect and repair and using my Office disk. That didn't help.
I have tried installing the SP-3 anyway, but of course that didn't work.

So I am stuck with Word 2000 version 9.0.2720 as I can't get any further. Though you know, a macro from the MS site to check version tells me I have 9.0.2717.

Know anything else I can try? At the moment I have to thoroughly agree with tonks - it just shouldn't be this difficult. Maybe I'm missing something, though. I sort of hope so.

Thanks.

#2 Ed Weber

Ed Weber

Grand Vizier of Visual Basic

• Star PT Contributor
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

Apparently Office 2k SR-1 had installation problems on some computers due to certain registry entries. SR-1a fixed this. I assume you tried the auto install method. Try downloading The Office 2000 Administrator SR-1a Updates, O2krs1adl.exe and Data1.exe, from this site , then double-click the exe to install. For more info see here.

Edited by Ed Weber, 11 March 2008 - 08:07 AM.

#3 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

Apparently Office 2k SR-1 had installation problems on some computers due to certain registry entries. SR-1a fixed this. I assume you tried the auto install method. Try downloading The Office 2000 Administrator SR-1a Updates, O2krs1adl.exe and Data1.exe, from this site , then double-click the exe to install. For more info see here.

Yep, that's the fix. I just suffered through this myself. The a in the 1a service pack is actually a fix to the Windows 2000 registry, so since few of us are running Windows 2000 these days, I think that is why the autoupdater refuses to proceed. The Admin download will patch you up to 1 just fine, and then you can apply SP3 (you don't need to apply SP 2 separately, as it's contained in 3).

Sure you wouldn't rather just skip the M$ viewer and go straight to OpenOffice.org, Harrie? :S_Devil19:

#4 Ed Weber

Ed Weber

Grand Vizier of Visual Basic

• Star PT Contributor
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

Sure you wouldn't rather just skip the M$ viewer and go straight to OpenOffice.org, Harrie? :S_Devil19:

A dotm file contains macros. Why bother with OO since the macros won't work in OO.

#5 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

A dotm file contains macros. Why bother with OO since the macros won't work in OO.

Why bother with the viewer, either, then, since viewers just let you open and read a document.

#6 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

You're looking at an SP-3er! <grin> Wow, I am really happy. Thank you, Ed. I just did not find that myself and I sure appreciate the help. Whew, can stop sweating that now. Tonks, it sure was the fix for me, as well. I wasn't aware of any of this business of 2000 having such problems before today.

I can tell you I like Word 2000, a lot, and I didn't want to change.

I had a 2007 Office system security update afterwards, which I installed (proving my compatibility pack is recognized, I suppose). The test macros I was sent not so long ago still aren't working, but I'll either go back to that in the appropriate thread or work on it separately and post when it's figured out.

Thanks to all.

#7 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

Ummm....why are you guys talking about viewers??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.