Photo

Copying expansions from DocQscribe

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Christee

Christee

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

I have been with MQ for over 3 years and have created a lot of expansions. I have started PT with another company and would like to copy them. Does anyone know which file they can be located in and how to copy them? Thanks!!!

#2 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hi, Christee. Thank you for joining PT. :)

You'll want to search for your user.aco file. Here is the info I have on where it should be, from an extremely reliable source (not a DocQScribe user myself).

1. Windows Explorer
2. My Computer, and then Local disk C
3. WINDOWS
4. WebCorrect
5. Cache
6. User Profiles
7. Company folders by number

If your search found more than one user.aco, you'll have to figure out which company folder to look in. If there is a default user.aco it will be very small compared to your own with your abbreviations, so you could right click, check Properties, and the larger one is likely to be your personal one.

Once found, I would not open it, but simply right click, choose Copy, then go to your Desktop, right click and choose Paste. Then you can rename it if you like, and open it in Notepad.

Does your new part-time job also use DocQScribe? Then you wouldn't have to manipulate it, but if you go to another expander, there are ways to change the file, too.

#3 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Star PT Contributor
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:My sweet man, my seven kids, and my sleep. No time for anything else once work is done.

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:39 AM

I'm new here and just signed in to ask a question and the first thing I see is THIS thread. Totally applies to me, I could've written the original post myself (except I've only been working for MQ for 3 mos now).

Thank you guys so much for asking the question and for giving the answer as I'm gonna need to do this too.

#4 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Star PT Contributor
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:My sweet man, my seven kids, and my sleep. No time for anything else once work is done.

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

Oops, I forgot to check the box to eneable e-mail notification of replies. I want to read more about this subject.

The only way I know how to make that happen is to put in a new reply here.

Is there any other way to go back to the post one just typed and set it up for notifications to be sent if one forgets to indicate as such the first time around?

#5 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi, Squirrel. Again, welcome to PT! :) Glad this question helped you, too.

You might try, to get email notification on this topic, going up top to My Controls, then Subscriptions>View Topics. Then I believe if you put a check mark in this topic, you can then scroll down and change the notification in the drop-down menu.

#6 Christee

Christee

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

I have been with MQ for over 3 years and have created a lot of expansions. I have started PT with another company and would like to copy them. Does anyone know which file they can be located in and how to copy them? Thanks!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so very much for your answer. This is going to make a big difference in my day!

Squirrel, this is my first post also. I'm glad it helped you too.

Thanks again Harrie!

#7 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

Very welcome, Christee. :)

#8 Christee

Christee

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:35 AM

Hi, Christee.  Thank you for joining PT.  :)

You'll want to search for your user.aco file.  Here is the info I have on where it should be, from an extremely reliable source (not a DocQScribe user myself). 

1.    Windows Explorer
2.    My Computer, and then Local disk C
3.    WINDOWS
4.    WebCorrect
5.    Cache
6.    User Profiles
7.    Company folders by number

If your search found more than one user.aco, you'll have to figure out which company folder to look in.  If there is a default user.aco it will be very small compared to your own with your abbreviations, so you could right click, check Properties, and the larger one is likely to be your personal one.

Once found, I would not open it, but simply right click, choose Copy, then go to your Desktop, right click and choose Paste.  Then you can rename it if you like, and open it in Notepad. 

Does your new part-time job also use DocQScribe?  Then you wouldn't have to manipulate it, but if you go to another expander, there are ways to change the file, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the new company I am doesn't use DocQscribe. I was told though that if I could find out where my files are located they would help me transfer them. Thanks again for your help with this!

#9 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

No, the new company I am doesn't use DocQscribe. I was told though that if I could find out where my files are located they would help me transfer them.

That's a switch, good for them!

#10 kiwimom

kiwimom

• Star PT Contributor
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to thank you, Harrie, for posting it. It's nice to know I have my expansions from DocQscribe, as when I first started using it, no one (including me) could figure out how to copy my expansions from Word to add them to DQS. At least now I don't have to retype them all AGAIN if I need to!!

:thanks: :tiphat:

#11 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

This is good to hear!

You are very welcome, kiwimom.

#12 kiwimom

kiwimom

• Star PT Contributor
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Okay, what are the chances (I mean, REALLY) that today, only ONE DAY after copying my expansions in DQS, I would accidentally delete them all? What are the chances? 100%! I have no idea how it happened, but I can't imagine if I hadn't run across this yesterday and copied them for safekeeping! Just wanted to say thank you AGAIN and to let you know what a HUGE help this thread was! :thanks: :tiphat:

#13 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Okay, what are the chances (I mean, REALLY) that today, only ONE DAY after copying my expansions in DQS, I would accidentally delete them all? What are the chances? 100%!

Obviously your subconscious somehow realized you were now safe and it could relax and let you mess up. :lol

Seriously, folks, no one should spend one single minute entering shorts into an expander before they know how to back up and save all their hard work. You are just begging for that horrible day when weeks or months or even years of work vanishes into a black hole in the universe. Figure out how to save and restore those expansions and then make very, very regular backups. If, in addition to a backup of any necessary files for your current expander, you can't figure out how to get a usable backup in plain text that can be used to load a different expander some day, or if it appears that can't be done with the expander you are using, find yourself another expander that you can both back up and get a text export from. Sooner or later, somewhere, someday, you will need to switch to a different expander. Make sure the work involved in that is just redoing commands for a new command syntax, not retyping all your shorts and longs by hand.

#14 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Obviously your subconscious somehow realized you were now safe and it could relax and let you mess up. :lol

ROTF! That's a possibility.....the other is that, kiwimom, you took a detour into....

The Twilight Zone! Doo do doo do doo do do doo!

#15 kiwimom

kiwimom

• Star PT Contributor
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

:thumbsup Well, it definitely FELT like the Twilight Zone! It must have been fate. I don't even remember how I came about this thread...I'm just very grateful that I did! I just hope my subconscious doesn't get comfortable & let me mess anything ELSE up! :doh: :grin

#16 kiwimom

kiwimom

• Star PT Contributor
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

Okay...now I have another question. I noticed that once I recovered my expansions (see above post), some were missing...? This was only one day after copying them, so I don't see how several (we're talking probably 10-20) would have been missing. I copied them again today and looked for some of the newer ones I had added in the last month, and they're not in the copied file. Any ideas?? :confused

PS: We're talking probably 20-30 added since last time...

Thanks for any insight...!

Edited by kiwimom, 20 January 2007 - 10:54 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.