Photo

EXText and ESP normals

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tntypin

tntypin

Contributing Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:21 AM

I have only been using EXText for about two months, but was wondering if anyone knows how to put jump marks in the system normals and also how to add my own normals. I have tried, but can't figure it out. I know I'm overlooking something simple, but I'm blank.

Thanks for your help. :thanks:

tytypin

#2 bride

bride

Contributing Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Hi tntyping,

I have been using EXText for little over three months now. I know a few things.

While you are in a document (not under view) click on:
ctrl + y to create a normal
ctrl + r to locate a normal.

To see more ctrl commands click on the EXText button, while in a document, in the upper left corner. A drop box will open, showing a list of ctrl commands.

While in a document (not under view) double click on ctrl to open up:
"ESP Control Panel"
This will list your abbrv's and expansions

While in the ESP Control Panel, click on Help to open up:
"Help Topics: ESP Phrase Expanders"
click on the Index or Contents tab to access the online manual.

One important thing I have learned, you need to be in a document to access normals or abbrvs. If you are in a document under edit all of your changes will not save. (I spent 2 hrs adding abbrvs to my ESP under edit mode and none of them saved when I signed off.)

Another thing, double click on ctrl to open "ESP Control Panel" make sure there is not a check mark next to pause.

When I want to work on my ESP or to read the Help Topics, while not working, I go in a purged document under edit. This way it doesn't look like I am in a patient's record for a long time, and I can practice my new abbrs without accidently making changes in a patient's record. Now of course, if you can access your ESP account without going into a document then you don't need to worry about this.

Hope I helped, as far as jumping in EXText, I don't know how to do that, you might need to create a macro under Word to do that, which I would be of no help to you about that. Or maybe you might find something in the Help Topics.

If I didn't make sense, just let me know.

jen

Edited by bride, 17 October 2005 - 12:20 PM.

#3 tntypin

tntypin

Contributing Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for your help. I guess I need to play around with it a little bit more. I don't like the fact that I can't get into it without actually being in the system. I'll try the purged document approach. That's is bad news about your abbv. I would not have been a happy camper :smellie_angry:

Thanks again,

Amy

#4 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

Jen, thanks a lot for helping here! I really appreciate it, since I sure wouldn't be able to. Great tip about changes not saving under edit when adding abbreviations, too.

Amy, I'm like you - I don't like not being able to do things I want to do without getting "into" a system. I just don't. And luckily, I don't have to deal with that anymore. But I know just what you mean. Thanks for a good topic.

#5 AnnaD

AnnaD

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

Hi! In your normal if you press the control key and the F9 key it will make a notation that looks sort of like { } this. You may not see these in your actual finished normal, but hitting the F11 key will skip you to each point that you have this ctrl F9 entered. Hope that helps.. :)

I have only been using EXText for about two months, but was wondering if anyone knows how to put jump marks in the system normals and also how to add my own normals.  I have tried, but can't figure it out.  I know I'm overlooking something simple, but I'm blank.

Thanks for your help.    :thanks:

tytypin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 lhaslem

lhaslem

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

I'm wondering if any of you ESP pros can help me with this one. Until just recently, when using my Word spell check feature, I was able to change the misspelled word to a blank or the correct word using an ESP abbreviatoin (e.g. "blk" would expand to _____, or "cf" would expand to Caucasion female). I think I have somehow messed this up and now this function does not work anymore. ESP does work in the regular document though, just not when using the spell check.

Anyone know how I might fix this?

Thanks for your help.

#7 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

Hello, lhaslem. Welcome to PT! I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for your question. Interesting one. Anyway, a move and a bump is worth a try. Anyone?

#8 Carolyne

Carolyne

Contributing Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

Mine doesn't do that. I don't know that it ever did because I had never tried it before seeing this post. I'm not sure if there is a difference between personal computers with EXText installed and work computers, which is what mine is. I can't install anything and corporate does automatic upgrades and downloads so what might work one day may not the next.

Edited by Carolyne, 10 February 2006 - 01:05 PM.

#9 lhaslem

lhaslem

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, it's really weird...I clicked some "combination" of keys I'm sure and now it won't work. I work on a backup account periodically and worked on it this morning and low and behold I was able to use ESP within my spellcheck - but that was a different server. As soon as I changed back to my primary account on a different server, it didn't work anymore. It's just annoying me and no one seems to know what I'm talking about...AHHH. Thanks for replying though...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.