Photo

AW with Dictaphone Extext?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Maro

Maro

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

This is driving me crazy. What ever trigger key I use, confirmed or unconfirmed, my ESP word expander box opens. (I don't use ESP for my expander.) It still happens if I supposedly "pause" ESP. I have tried the function keys for triggers, the double space bar, and unconfirmed \. They all open the ESP box as well as executing my Activeword.
I really want to use Active Words but this problem annoys me too much.

Maro

#2 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

I'm afraid it very much sounds like you may have found a program that AW conflicts with, since it sounds like your platform is intercepting all keystrokes meant for AW.

This kind of problem gets into technical issues of how each program is monitoring and intercepting keyboard input, though, so your best bet is to take the problem directly to the AW programmers on their board, and then ask the questions they tell you to ask of tech support for your platform.

It's a real bummer if there is an incompatibility here, since AW is sure a great program, and it had been working with all the transcription platforms people had tried it on.

#3 Maro

Maro

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

oh dear, off to the AW board, I guess.
Thanks
Maro

#4 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Wow, that is a downer, how awful! It sure is a first that I know of, too! I have optimism the AW people can get around it somehow, though. Please let us know, Maro.

And by the way, I'm a bit late, but:

Posted Image

#5 Maro

Maro

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Well, actually they didn't, but another gal on mtnetizens did tell me how to solve my problem. I have to disable the ESP add-in that gets loaded automatically with the Extext version of Word that gets loaded on my machine whenever I log on to work. I made an IT command to do that, and now I am free to delve into the world of AW. :D The scripting is intimidating really. I'm sure I will be here with tons of questions. (Is there an AW For Dummies? haha Unfortunately, I am not really kidding. )

Thanks for the welcome!
Maro

#6 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Well, actually they didn't, but another gal on mtnetizens did tell me how to solve my problem.  I have to disable the ESP add-in that gets loaded automatically with the Extext version of Word that gets loaded on my machine whenever I log on to work.  I made an IT command to do that, and now I am free to delve into the world of AW.  :D 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:S_bravo: So glad to hear you've got things working, Maro! Sounds like this is definitely a platform specific problem that only someone who knew the options in the particular platform could solve. That's exactly why we would like more users of various different MT platforms contributing here--you can't come up with fixes for software you don't know and can't even look at!

As for AW, start off with the simple stuff--setting up ActiveWords to bring up various programs you use, for opening and saving in various locations, etc. That will let you get your feet wet and start to get a feel for how things work.

#7 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

I'm so happy about this too, Maro! That was a major bummer, and I'm so glad this gal came up with the solution, bravo! Perhaps we even ought to pin the solution for future AW/Dictaphone Extext users! Tell your MTNetizen pal thanks from me, too! :eclipsee_Victoria:

#8 sono_io

sono_io

Supreme Member

• Star PT Contributor
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

WIT-WOOOOOO! I'm SOOO excited!

I recently started with a new company that uses the EXText platform, and I've been going nuts trying to get all my "stuff" switched over to the new work PC. (Ya know, IT glossaries, ActiveWords, bookmarks, etc...)

I've been fighting with AW for the exact same problem Maro was having - the AW triggers would always bring up the ESP Control Panel instead of executing the AW. I finally found this thread. I turned off the ESP add-in on the Word Client, and whaddya know - ActiveWords WORKS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you SOOOO much, Maro, for sharing this tip! :highfive

-sono_io

#9 lafon

lafon

• Star PT Contributor
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

I turned off the ESP add-in on the Word Client, and whaddya know - ActiveWords WORKS!!!!

Super :elk here again ...

Can somebody please 'splain the above? Specifically, how does one turn off the add-in?

TIA. :bolting

Edited by lafon, 08 April 2006 - 03:18 PM.

#10 14tonks

14tonks

• Forum Leader
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

Can somebody please 'splain the above? Specifically, how does one turn off the add-in?

I don't use ExText, but if ESP works like any ordinary Word add-in, open Word, go to Tools>Templates and Add-ins, select the ESP add-in from the list, click on Remove, and click OK.

#11 lafon

lafon

• Star PT Contributor
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

I don't use ExText, but if ESP works like any ordinary Word add-in, open Word, go to Tools>Templates and Add-ins, select the ESP add-in from the list, click on Remove, and click OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#12 lafon

lafon

• Star PT Contributor
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:puter :thanks:

#13 Harrie

Harrie

Administrator

• Forum Leader
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

I'm glad there have been some ExText users here and to know I can use it well with both IT and AW, since I'll be using it very shortly on a new account! I'm hoping that it is like ChartScript in that it truly does use the "real" MS Word.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 365 days. Only Star PT contributors are allowed to post to posts this old.